I bought this book during a trip to Singapore with my family. The original plan was to buy books that Singaporean authors had written, BUT I couldn’t find a good one in the amount of time I had while I was there as sightseeing was also a part of our agenda.
On my second or third trip to Kinokuniya Bookstore at a Bugis Mall, I decided to pick this book up, whose simple cover caught my eye. No, it wasn’t written by a Singaporean author, it was a Korean writer named, Haenim Sunim.
I read the book on the flight home and I brought it with me on a staycation to the Manila Peninsula. I continuously read the book as it gave me wise advice on how to be calm in a busy and competitive world. It was also very comforting.
That said, I compiled some of his best quotes in the book to cheer anyone up:
1.When someone tells you, “No,” don’t react emotionally and lose control. “No” may open up a surprising new world to you. “No” may unexpectedly lead you to good people. If you begin to push back against the unchangeable “No,” you will suffer in the process and miss other opportunities,
2. Don’t give up in the face of criticism. Learn to brush aside what people who don’t know you have to say. Having critics means what you’re doing is getting people’s attention. Have courage, and continue down the path you’re on.
3. Many conflicts in our lives can be resolved if we put ourselves in the other person’s shoes. Try to look at things from her point of view. If you consider only your side, you are no different from a child.
4. If someone looks perfect, then that is because you don’t know that person very well.
5. Do you want to be happy, or do you want to appear happy? Never mind what the world tells you to do to be happy. Be truthful to yourself and discover what you really want.
6. When you are disappointed, don’t wait too long to say so. When you bottle up your feelings, the river of emotion swells, making it difficult to cross over and speak calmly.
7. In a gathering of seven or eight people, we will surely meet one or two who like us a lot and one or two who are not fond of us. Don’t take it personally; this is just the way of the world.
8. You are beautiful not because you are better than others but because there is only you who can smile like that. May you fall in love with your unique self.
9. Life is like a slice of pizza. It looks delicious in an advertisement, but when we actually have it, it is not as good as we imagined. If you envy someone’s life, remember the pizza in the ad. It always looks better than it is.
10. The more you know, the more you think you don’t. The more you don’t know, the more you think you do.
11. Wear confidence. It is the height of fashion.
12. Sometimes life throws us a curveball for no reason that we can fathom. But we do not despair. We are not alone. We can persevere. This, too, shall pass, like the heat of summer.
13. Stop shouting, “What if?” and just take a leap of faith.
I hope these quotes were able to uplift you!